Today's post will be heavy on my side of things, since Trina and I spent the whole day at the local church painting murals on their walls. I really can't believe they let total strangers that don't even speak their language, just walk in with a bucket of paints and go-to-town on their church walls.


I kept looking over my shoulder waiting for someone to stop me. Especially since people that lived nearby would walk in with the "what is going on in here?!" face, and then look me over with a raised eyebrow.


Well either way, I finished mine by 5pm but Trina's got more to go later this week. I kinda cheated because I made my painting kinda coloring book style, and all I needed was one kid that spoke english and 5 of his friends with paintbrushes to do the work for me!


It was like having an automatic mural machine.


I wish I could show you the final work, but my camera has been in critical condition lately, and it fritzed out. So when I'm not too lazy to track down Trina's camera, I'll post the results.




This is how we traveled to the church. Yes, my family, I shared an ATV with two other women (the driver is taking the photo here) . It was more crazy than riding a horse. It was like Mr. Toad's wild Haiti Ride. I held on with my death grip to the back luggage rack, while donkey and goat poop was flung up onto my skirt and shoes.

Hot.




Trina on her right-hand wall.








Here I am with my "machine." Very helpful.








As we were taking a water break in the heat of the midday, we heard what sounded like a parade coming down the "highway."


(And by highway, HWY 3, that is about two cars width and rocky and potholed like you wouldn't believe)


I managed to conprehend, with my stupid charade gesturing to one of the kids, that the sound was comign from the school next door.


The photo above is an undercover photo of us crashing their dance rehearsal. Lion King Musical, eat your heart out, these kids were awesome. We thanked them with a bag of RedVines, which was totally against the rules, but hey, too late now.

The others got alot of stuff done today. Another VBS session, some sort of construction. There was much sweating and probably some more crying.

I promise to be more diplomatic tomorrow.

11 comments

Charlie on July 2, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

Charlie,help! DVD froze in mid-movie and wont come out and Kevo seems to be frozen as well. Only image on Kevo is frozen Lady&Tramp. Any suggestions? By the way, great posts of your trip.Way to get the kids to help you! Sorry to communicate on the Haiti blog,but I need Word World back NOW! Love, Mom


Harker Bio Instructor on July 2, 2008 at 9:54 PM  

Wow! I love reading the updates daily. Say hi to Krissie and JJ for us! Lynda and Jeff


Anonymous on July 2, 2008 at 10:34 PM  

Hi Charlie,

Thank you for the update. As a supporter of this trip who does not go to Westgate I would sure like to hear from others on the trip. Would it be possible to have others post as well? It would be great to get other points of view. Especially since you went with just one other person. I am sure God is really moving with the VBS and that there is a reason for the tears you have referred to multiple times.

Thanks!


Joanne on July 2, 2008 at 11:50 PM  

I love reading that you guys are up to, and what it is the Lord is doing there with you guys. Keep up the great work!


Kristie on July 3, 2008 at 10:41 AM  

Thanks for all the updates! How exciting! My sister Katie is there with you and I was hoping you could tell her hi for me! I missed getting to say goodbye before she left. Thanks and I'll be following your blogs everyday!

Kristie


Unknown on July 3, 2008 at 10:54 AM  

Thanks for the updates Charlie. I am praying for all of you. God is at work! Great job on the murels. I look forward to hearing all that God has done when you guys return. Keep loving on the kids, they will never forget it.

Donna


won tong on July 3, 2008 at 4:22 PM  

It's an adventure the last frontier... Reminds of driving the Alaskian HYW. What a trip!


won tong on July 3, 2008 at 4:31 PM  

Hey Charlie this will crack you up...Guess what movie your mom recommended that we are watching tonigh...giggle Waking Ned Devine!
hahahaha...Now I'll go look at the video posts..


Charlie on July 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM  

Mom, open the "closet" and push the big blue button on the Kevo computer. That should restart it.
If not, push the smaller blue button. That should do it.


Charlie on July 3, 2008 at 7:09 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.

Charlie on July 3, 2008 at 7:21 PM  

To answer your request "jc1822," I have asked some others to blog and they said "no."
They are all free to email people if they would like. If you want to hear from someone in particular, comment so, and I will tell them, or force their hands to the keyboard late at night.
Plus, we do VBS almost everyday we are here, btw.